Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Welcome to Bedford Trucks Worldwide

I'm an old truck/lorry fan in Australia and already run another blog on the subject - Australasian Classic Commercials. Since I'm my own worst enemy I figured I didn't have enough on my plate already and decided to address the apparent lack of good Bedford truck information available on the net.

The plan here is to feature the range of Bedford trucks to be found in most corners of the world, talk to owners about their projects, share sources for parts and the various skills needed for operating vehicles that can be over 70 years old ... and basically spread the awareness of one of the most successful and prolific truck makes to turn a wheel.

We all know Bedfords tend to get some stick for being, well, Bedfords. However there are many still working and many continuing in their second (or third or fourth or...) lives on farms as paddock trucks, fire trucks etc ... and those of us who own them know they have character and their faults but...

I've cursed my Bedfords from time to time and I love any old truck from any country. For some reason, though, Bedfords just strike a chord with me. Leylands and Macks do the same but I'll stay small for the time being (having enjoyed the honour of owning a Mack in the past). Maybe it's the underdog status of the Bedford. Most tend to walk passed them and ogle over the Kenworth with all the chrome for example. It was the humble Bedford, though, that did everything from delivering the mail to transporting cars across the country.

If you own a Bedford or used to drive them for a living I'd love to hear from you. Photos of any Bedford are more than welcome. I'll even talk about b*ses and vans as Bedford was very strong in that area (don't know much about them though)! Let's increase the presence of these great vehicles on the worldwide web and make sure you can still see them everywhere!

6 comments:

  1. I have a complete 1961 J1 Styleside ute that was purchased in the 60's by the South Australian E&WS Department (Engineering and Water Supply), it was sold at auction to a new Australian who took it to Coober Pedy where it was the faithfull vehicle of the miner until it was retired n the late 1980's. I purchased it in 2008 as a project after it had spent the last 20- 30 years just sitting in the Australian Desert. It was originally painted in the maroon colour ans was sunsequently painted the cream drab dirt colour of the E&WS department. The ol' girl is currently in a million peices and I am in the process of a ground up re-build. I have a bunch of stuff currenty at the powder coaters and soon (next month) the chassis is of to the sand blasters. I am hoping to have it complete by Decemeber 2010 as it my 50th Birthday present to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day and thanks for your comment - the first for BTW (you are now notorious!). Would love to hear more about your J1. I don't think I've seen a styleside in Oz. All the best with the rebuild. Feel free to drop me a line. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin here, Perth WA. I have a J2 Retired Fire Engine. Need help with spare parts items that ACW hasn't got/can't get, or uninterested in getting.
    Where are some good overseas suppliers, now that the net has opened things up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kevin

    Drop me an email at aircrewbooksATiinet.net.au (replace the AT with @ of course) and we'll chat further. I can put you in touch with some fire engine chaps in Australia and some contacts overseas.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Andy,
    My truck is for farm purposes (ie: moving machinery/tractors, hay, animals, etc) and is a 1966 TK with 6m tray. It is on straight LPG, but am looking at converting over to either a Holden or Ford V8 from the 6 cylinder petrol. Do you have any information on this conversion - maybe there is a conversion kit or parts (genuine) for such a conversion. Also you may have some tips, even if only on engine removal, source of parts and installation, if nothing else.
    Thank you
    Garry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Garry

    Where in Oz are you? My 68 EFN TK has a Holden 308 in it bolted to the the Beddy gearbox. This is a pretty common conversion. Indeed, it is perhaps the most successful of the petrol-engined 'options' for the TK and TJ.

    Drop me a line on aircrewbooksATiinet.net.au (replace the AT with @) and we'll talk further. Depending on where you are, I can put you in touch with some people who know a lot more than me (not hard!).

    Looking forward to talking with you further. Thanks for getting in touch.

    Cheers

    Andy

    ReplyDelete